Saturday, July 09, 2005

Initial Post

I have lived in Marin County, CA for over 40 years (except for the time I left for schooling); I was moved here at the age of about six months old. I've been closely watching the events in our real estate market for the last 10 of those years. To be honest, I am not at all happy with what the insane real estate market has done to our county. Marin used to be a nice place to live. Mind you, the place hasn't changed much physically; it's the people who have changed. Or, more accurately, the people who have moved here.

I'll just be up front about my bias -- I think the increase of house prices in Marin of late is ludicrous and is ruining our county. It is a crime that our children cannot afford to live here with their family. It is utterly insane to me that people are willing to go into debt of a million dollars (which, at the time of this post, is slightly less than the average price of a house in Marin) to have a house here. And I am sick to death of hearing all the lame excuses people offer for why the prices here are justified (e.g., "Marin is God's country", "Everyone wants to live here", "House prices have never fallen in Marin", "There is a shortage of housing", etc.).

Well, I know I am not the only person here who feels this way. So I decided to conduct an experiment: I created this blog. The idea is that this blog is a place where other Marin residents (or anyone really, but I'd be most interested in hearing what other Marinites have to say) can express their views and post information regarding the Marin real estate market.

I also want this blog to be a place where we can counter the misinformation spewed by realators and real estate agencies here who have a vested interest in promoting price inflation.

So there it is. Let the experiment begin...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find your articles well written and just wanted to say that this is rarely these days to find well made sites.

Wishing you all the best,

colwell banker