Saturday, May 13, 2006

Vision RE Takes Their 'Recent Sales' Data Out of the Public Domain

Hmm, Vision RE is no longer publishing their "recent sales" data (the data that I rely heavily on for many of my monthly charts) on their web site due to "MLS restrictions"; they say you have to subscribe to the newsletter to get the data (ok, fine, so I'll start subscribing if they will let me):
Due to MLS restrictions, we are unable to publish recent sales on the Internet. To view recent sales, along with list price, days on market and the sales price to list price ratio, you must be a subscriber to our newsletter.
It's too bad because their raw data was by far the most valuable aspect of their web site. I guess we just have to trust what they report. No charts this month unless I get a copy of April's newsletter.

Does anyone subscribe to their newsletter and have a copy of the most recent one (April) and who would be willing to forward it on to me? I will be subscribing to their newsletter (unless I have pissed them off too much and they say I can't) and so I will be able to use my own in future months but I am missing this month's. Thanks.

Update: Vision RE emailed me a link to their recent sales data so all is good for now.

2 comments:

marine_explorer said...

That's nice of them to provide the link--does that mean the general public still has access to that info?

That said, Marin strikes as rather difficult to get current, accurate sales data. It should get real interesting if the MLS is opened up, but I'm guessing CAR will fight that tooth-and-nail; imagine the negotiating advantages for buyers?

I won't hold my breath for OpenMLS, but something's going to give eventually.

Marinite said...

It is available to the general public in the sense that it is just a URL but you have to know the URL. I don't know if I can share it or not but all I had to do was ask for it.

You are quite correct re how hard it is to get RE data for Marin. It is kept like a closely guarded secret. I have yet to be able to find all sales for Marin listed address by address or unit sale by unit sale which is what I want. So I have to settle for what I can get. Sigh.