20 Statements That Make Me Puke
- It’s not a house it’s a home.
- Buy now or you’ll be priced out forever.
- Renting is just throwing your money away.
- You have to live somewhere.
- They’re not making any more of it.
- Real estate never goes down.
- You’re just kidding yourself if you’re waiting for prices to fall.
- Never a better time to buy! [either during a decline or boom]
- I think you have a deep-seated fear of commitment.
- Never try to time the market (when it’s falling).
- It’s different this time.
- _(insert location)_ is so desirable, people will want to live here no matter how expensive it gets.
- Boomers/immigrants/rich people will keep prices permanently high.
- Prices have achieved a permanently high plateau/new paradigm/soft landing.
- _(insert location)_ is land-locked.
- If you’re waiting for the perfect time to buy, you’ll be waiting forever.
- You can’t lose in real estate – it’s a no-brainer.
- Real estate’s seasonal; after _(insert holiday)_ things will return to normal.
- The last housing drop was caused by _(insert unique, non-repeatable event: 9-11, collapse of Soviet Union, earthquake, hurricane, etc.)_; it’ll NEVER happen again.
- STOP LOW-BALLING! STOP!! I REALLY MEAN IT!!!
* * *
Oh, yeah. And take a stand on the bail-out proposals and get vocal about it. Get loud. Get mean. Go find your rep's contact info here, then write to them...and to Dodd and Clinton too. Democracy still works. We voted out the GOP because we were pissed off and we can nip this oh-I-am-such-a-victim bail-out crap in the bud too. Stop talking about personal responsibility and start taking it. Don't like this blog's letter? Well, Patrick.net has one too for your consideration.