Thursday, May 18, 2006

DataQuick Results for April

For what it's worth, DataQuick's April, 2006 data can be found here. The plot of Marin's data looks like a superball bouncing inside of an ever shrinking room. Or maybe a schizophrenic who cannot make up his mind.
‘These are strange times for forecasters and analysts. Are we heading into a market lull? Or are we seeing the beginning of a significant downturn? Many of the fundamentals for housing are at a crossroads: Inflation, interest rates, demand, household incomes, prices, and whether homes are a good investment compared to other investments. Summer is going to be interesting to say the least,’ said Marshall Prentice, DataQuick president.


YOY percent sales down over 33%. Ouch! And according to ZipRealty 31.4% of all SFRs currently on the market in Marin are showing "price reduced". Hey sellers: keep those price reductions coming or "be priced out of the market forever". Heh!

5 comments:

Athena said...

Why is dataquick so OFF the wall in terms of their reporting numbers? By all counts using actual county data for Sonoma the dataquick data is off by 200! unreal.

Marinite said...

I dunno. A lot of people over the course of the year have questioned how DataQuick calculates stuff. I don't put a lot of stock in DataQuick myself but some people do I guess so I take the effort to post their data. Frankly, sometimes I feel that people pick and choose what data to believe in for the month depending on which side of the fence they are sitting on. So I post it all and let the reader decide. What do I care? Que sera, sera.

David said...

"The plot of Marin's data looks like a superball bouncing inside of an ever shrinking room."

Nice description

Athena said...

Don't get me wrong I find it interesting... but I wonder how DQ can count 200 more units sold than even the local agencies and data systems. They have every incentive to make the picture look rosier than it is... and even the Press Democrat has made a conscious effort to fudge data... but DQ is way off from all county data that I have found. I just wonder where they get their data from and if it has a different calculation...

marine_explorer said...

In the past, didn't we notice a discrepancy between DQ and the county assesor's records? Of course DQ is rather vague on their sample, so it could mean anything. My bets are on the county.

even the Press Democrat has made a conscious effort to fudge data

What, another small town and well-meaning paper shilling for local realty? That can't be true. Perhaps the PD will respond by publishing a few letters by local realtors?