Sunday, April 29, 2007

Responses from Our Elected Officials

When the folks over at patrick.net sent their "no mortgage bail-out" letters, at least they received replies that were on-topic. I got these bland responses (granted, I sent my letters when the bail-out issue first came up in the news so maybe there were not yet any on-topic, pre-written form letters for their aids to send):

From Hillary Clinton:
Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me via e-mail. I hope you will understand that, because of the volume of e-mails I receive from residents of New York State, I cannot at this time respond to messages received from residents of other states. I encourage you to contact your U.S. senators if you have an issue or concern that needs immediate attention. You can access your senators electronically by visiting http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index_by_state.cfm for a listing of their contact information. If you are still interested in learning more about the work I am doing on behalf of New York State, I hope you will continue to monitor my work through my website at http://clinton.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
New York State
From Barbara Boxer:
Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your views. I believe that all citizens should become involved in the legislative process by letting their voices be heard, and I appreciate the time and effort that you took to share your thoughts with me. One of the most important aspects of my job is keeping informed about the views of my constituents, and I welcome your comments so that I may continue to represent California to the best of my ability. Should I have the opportunity to consider legislation on this or similar issues, I will keep your views in mind.

For additional information about my activities in the U.S. Senate, please visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can access statements and press releases that I have issued about current events and pending legislation, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.


Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
I received no reply from either Dodd or Feinstein. I think I'll send another round of email.

Did you get a response letter? Share them here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How to say nothing in 500 words or more.

Anonymous said...

Well, from all I've read over the past several months on this bailout baloney, I think what we've got is some serious back peddling by our political leaders. Many (eg Dodd of CT) thought this was a slam dunk of an issue.. "He’s looking out for the little guy"… yea, right..

Well, thanks to blogs like this one and Ben’s, the electorate has been much better informed and have spoken loud and clear, resulting in this issue turning out to be much more of a hot potato than the politician’s had planned. I doubt you will see any commit to anything at this point, which means the bubble will continue to deflate in the months ahead.

Matt..

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Christopher Dodd added me to his "list" and I had to report his emails as spam. I deleted his initial response, but it basically thanked me for sharing my opinion and said that it's a tough situation and they will consider my input as they try to figure it out.

I received the below response from Barbara Boxer.


"Dear Mrs. :

Thank you for contacting me about subprime mortgages, which are loans that are marketed to borrowers with weak or imperfect credit. I appreciate hearing from you.

In order to purchase a home during the recent housing boom, millions of Americans turned to lenders offering alternative mortgage products such as interest-only and adjustable-rate mortgages. Lured by low interest rates and easy access to credit from predatory subprime lenders, millions of Americans purchased homes they cannot afford.

Though subprime loans have initial monthly payments lower than standard mortgage loans, the payments are structured to increase either suddenly or slowly over time. As a result of recent interest rate hikes coupled with abusive loan terms, payments often grow beyond what borrowers can afford to pay, forcing many families into delinquency or even foreclosure.

The Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs is currently holding hearings on this matter in an effort to gain more information about unscrupulous lending practices and the current crash of the subprime mortgage market.


Please know that I am monitoring this situation closely and will

keep your views in mind should pertinent legislation come before the Senate.

Again thank you for writing to me.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Please visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov

Anonymous said...

I sent email to Boxer, Clinton, and Obama.

The response from Boxer was the same as the one wearegood got, and the ones from Clinton/Obama were generic "sorry, you're not in my district" letters.

I made sure to follow up with both of them indicating that their position on this would affect my vote in the upcoming presidential elections. Maybe that will get their attention.

Anonymous said...

Over at Patrick.net I reported on the same boilerplate response from Senator Boxer as posted here. It may just come down to an issue of the volume of protests before the politicos take notice.

Anonymous said...

Send a letter to Charles Barkley instead, maybe he can keep the bailout from happening. He hillariously dissed Sausalito as a low-rent vacation spot (of course it was clear he had never heard of or seen Sausalito)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the way to prevent a bailout is for enough to just quit paying taxes?

I believe the FHA is considering extending zero down loans. (They currently provide loans to first time buyers at the nosebleed levels (!) of 3% downpayment).

So how about it, my fellow Americans, how do you feel about becoming the subprime lender of choice? Particularly now that we know beyond a shadow of a doubt how THAT works out?!

Feel like chipping in to help keep those prices out of reach? Talk about screwing yourself coming and going.

Anonymous said...

I think I got a real letter back from Barbara Boxer. She addressed me personally. I did write what I believe was a quite articulate letter on the matter:


Dear Ms. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me about subprime mortgages, which are loans that are marketed to borrowers with weak or imperfect credit. I appreciate hearing from you.

In order to purchase a home during the recent housing boom, millions of Americans turned to lenders offering alternative mortgage products such as interest-only and adjustable-rate mortgages. Lured by low interest rates and easy access to credit from predatory subprime lenders, millions of Americans purchased homes they cannot afford.

Though subprime loans have initial monthly payments lower than standard mortgage loans, the payments are structured to increase either suddenly or slowly over time. As a result of recent interest rate hikes coupled with abusive loan terms, payments often grow beyond what borrowers can afford to pay, forcing many families into delinquency or even foreclosure.

The Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs is currently holding hearings on this matter in an effort to gain more information about unscrupulous lending practices and the current crash of the subprime mortgage market.

Please know that I am monitoring this situation closely and will keep your views in mind should pertinent legislation come before the Senate.

Again thank you for writing to me.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Please visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov