Sunday, March 19, 2006

Price Reductions in Marin According to ZipRealty

I've been tracking the number of properties in Marin that ZipRealty.com flags as "price reduced". ZipRealty started this new service back in late January or so and that is why the data is so far rather sparse.

The first graph shows the total number of properties marked as "price reduced" and the second graph shows the corresponding percentage.

I don't think any strong conclusions can be made at this point; I just wanted to make the data available.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

marinite-

fhallen.com's listings show original listing date and price.

Example here.

Marinite said...

The reason why I focus on the ZipRealty "priced reduced" feature is that I can do a quick search on it whenever I want. I searched all of Marin within the asking price range of $0 to $10 mill. Doing that from your typical realtor website would be excruciatingly tedious.

Marinite said...

Do a custom search. You will see a checkbox or something to indicate you just want "price reduced" properties. Note: as I understand it this feature is not yet available in all areas.

Anonymous said...

marinite,

One thing you might want to do is break your data down into pricing categories. You might be able to distiinguish, for example, that 40% of the homes priced above 1 mil has had price reduction. That way, when we see a higher percentage of price reduction in the lower categories, we'll know that the turn around from a seller to buyer market has taken steam. Just a suggestion, but overall, you've got a great model.