Thursday, August 17, 2006

Nota Bene

Ron Parks of the Vision Real Estate Group emailed me today saying that he noticed that I was using their tabulated data when I reported the July, 2006 results. He felt that I did not give credit to them (or maybe he felt that the credit was not obvious). I did give credit to them but I can see now how it might not be sufficiently obvious. I always give credit to sources unless they ask that their identity be kept anonymous or if it can reasonably be assumed that they want their identity kept anonymous; that's my pact with anyone who wants to share information on this blog.

Anyway, I added a more explicit reference to the Vision RE group in that post and I just want to take this opportunity to be sure that everyone who is now reading this post knows that table of data was compiled by Ronald Parks at the Vision Real Estate Group. Furthermore, my apologies go out to Ron Parks if he felt slighted in any way; that was most certainly not my intent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good move. Ron Parks should be thanked for maintaining the public listing of prior sales on Vison's excellent site. Oftentime, you have to squeeze that informtion out of Realtors, and then only get half the story. When things turn back up, I expect people will remember Vision.

I suspect he's not too well-liked in the MAR community. After all, he is giving buyers honest information.

Marinite said...

After all, he is giving buyers honest information.

As far as I can tell the data they publish is honest. It is consistent with other sources of information (e.g., DataQuick) and so I have no reason to suspect it.

I am in complete agreement with you that Vision RE should be praised for their openness. My only gripe is their tendency to pump the upside and downplay the downside as far as their discussion of results goes. But it's a minor gripe.

I would hope that Vision RE survives any shake up of the industry that results from the pull back in the housing bubble and/or the effect of the internet on their business.

Anonymous said...

It looks like the Marin MLS got the big guns out and aimed them squarely at Ron Parks. The Vision site is now subscription-based. Free, I think. All they need is your email address.

"Due to MLS restrictions, we are unable to publish recent sales on the Internet. To view recent sales, along with list price, days on market and the sales price to list price ratio, you must be a subscriber to our newsletter.

To do that, click the subscribe button below."

Hmmm. Somebody's running scared, what with ordinary folks getting their hands on honest information!